Pages

Friday, April 21, 2023

How I prepared for mastectomy


A mastectomy is a procedure to save your life. But, it is still hard on you, physically and mentally.

The pain is one thing. The side effects of painkillers are another thing. 

the uncomfortable feeling of having the drain is another thing. 

I searched on the internet to prepare myself. Then asked almost everyone around me.  

The doctor asked to get a mastectomy bra. Her office was having some. My friend, who walked the road ahead, said to get it from there. I also got compression stockings from there. That saved me a trip to the store and looking at the items.  It might have been a toll to think about choosing a bra, which is not my usual style. 

My daughter's girlfriend suggested getting a mastectomy bra from Amazon. So I got one:

I used it on my car ride home and other clinic visits. It served as a great protection when using the seatbelt.  It was my companion and comforting friend during the first two weeks. 

I also purchased a wedge pillow

If you cannot turn easily a wedge pillow is really helpful. As shown in the photo, I was using the phone and iPad when I was on the bed.

I bought a post-surgical top from Silverts  This one had inside pockets to keep the drain tubes safe. This is a bit heavy. I am happy to say that it kept me warm too. This garment can be opened in so many ways. I will give this as a gift to anybody who has to go through shoulder or breast surgery. 

I bought another shirt with inner pockets from Amazon as well. It was cheaper, yet pretty. But, I had to use a sweater on top of it inside the house to keep me warm.

Libby app was downloaded on my phone and iPad. Getting ebooks and tons of magazines from the Toronto Public Library was a great blessing!

If you use the Amazon links to buy anything, I may get a few pennies. The Silverts link is not giving any benefit to me though. 

I bought a front-open bra from Silverts. It is high quality and comfortable as well. 

I am slowly getting out of sadness. It is a lot of effort to be positive and see the bright side. 

I will be looking for a job, may be next month. 


 

Bindu

2 comments:

  1. Sorry it has been so difficult.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello,Bindu. Before I forget, I want to thank you for coming to Marmelade Gypsy. I so appreciated your visit and comment.

    I'm sorry you've had to deal with this operation and both the physical and emotional pain and concern that accompanies it. Even when it is necessary, it takes a great deal of courage to experience something like this. I hope that in sharing your experiences, you find that healing as well. I think it sometimes helps to talk about it. And I appreciate your sharing your stories and also tips like this one on the bra. We never know when we'll be forced into some of the same choices you've had to make -- and yes, you do it to save your life. But it doesn't mean they are easy and knowing anything about it beforehand from survivors is helpful. I send you all good wishes as you continue your journey.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a message to let me know you were here