Pages

Sunday, December 6, 2020

A Book a week: Week6

Hi 

Yes, I did finish reading another book last week. 

This time it "American Dirt" by Jeanine cummins. 

The story begins with Luca learning about bullets flying through their place. His mom Lydia, a book store owner comes in to the bathroom and they both hid there. when everything was over there were 16 bodies in the backyard. Every one, Lydia loved are gone. 

Lydia knows, it was her favourite customer, who did it. When her husband and journalist Sebastian uncovered "The Owl", she was not thinking about this massacre.

The story moves on with Lydia's decision to escape from Mexico and the watching eyes of  The Owl. There was no one to help her. 

The novel tells us about her journey to America. The hardships they encounters, the people they met and connected through their journey are explained really well. It made me in tears to know the cruelties suffered by the sisters in the story. Ever thought of good looks being your worst enemy? 

While reading the book, I thought, the author must be an immigrant herself. Later, over the weekend, I learned about the controversy surrounding the book. I am not the one to judge! i loved the style of the book. I can seriously tell you that it changed my view point about illegal immigrants and refugees. I wonder, what will be the story of the person mentioning that they came to Canada as a refugee. 

The novel ends with Lydia getting settled in the United States. Luca is back to school too. 

Bindu

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a message to let me know you were here