Pages

Tuesday, July 29, 2014

DIY Easy peasy Strawberry jam

The strawberries are plenty. Why not try to have some fruit jam, right?
It was an experiment. So I was careful to measure everything. (I did not follow any particular recipe as it is).
Halved the strawberries after removing the stems and leaves.
It was 5 cups.
I added one and half cup of sugar. 
2 tablespoons of lemon juice was added since I didn't have pectin. 
(I used Realemon, not freshly squeezed lemon juice)
I added a piece of ginger along with it.
Then I put on the stove top, medium heat stirring continuously.
While doing the stirring, I used my spatula to mash it too. 
I saw the strawberry was getting mushy and watery, dissolving all the sugar.
It took me about 45 minutes to get it thickened. You can check the consistency by putting a spoon of jam on a cool saucer. Try to rotate the saucer. If the jam is good, it won't run on the saucer. 
Mine was looking like that.

Then I removed it from stove top and let it cool.
Now, my jam is in a recycled glass bottle kept in the fridge. 
I used about 900 grams of strawberry to get that much jam. It is not filling a 1L bottle though. 
Oh, before pouring in the bottle, I removed the ginger. 

Have you ever tried making your own jam or pickles without following an actual recipe? 


Bindu Designs

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a message to let me know you were here